Friday, December 10, 2010

Rapper Freeway



"It's pretty clear from his hard-hitting lyrics that Philadelphia rapper Freeway is no stranger to street life. He lost a cousin and close friend to gun violence. He's also had his own run-ins with the law, having served jail time for drug possession. His experiences haven't left him jaded, though. When the devout Muslim heard about a violent uprising at South Philadelphia High School last year, he got involved. "I'm from where they're from," said Freeway, whose real name is Leslie Pridgen. "I can talk about those experiences [on the street], but I am a businessman now. I wouldn't take nothing back. It's shaped me as a man." --- Sarah Hoye of CNN writes as she interviews Philadelphia's natives Freeway and Young Chris as they push forward MTV's "Get Schooled" nonviolence campaign".

Story Continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment